The Rager IBU calculator was giving Â incorrect info, and was failing to adjust the hop utilization based on changes in wort gravity. Thanks to Arpit for catching that. I’ve fixed the variable call and it now shows changes in hop utilization when the gravity is above 1.050.
I finally had a chance to sit down and work on the calculators tonight without a baby, cat, or toddler wanting something. Sorry for the delay, it was a pretty simple fix, just needed to replace global variables since the host updated from PHP 4.1 to PHP 5.2. While reading around, I was struck with the temptation to get all AJAXy on them so they do live updating. Given how long the fix took, don’t expect anything soon.
I tapped the keg of MadelIPA last night and I’m pleased to report that it f*@%ing rocks. I made a few changes, including dry hopping the keg with 2 ounces of Santiam hops. It added a nice mellow but citrusy and very complimentary throat to the beer. Given it’s significant bittering, it’s a welcome addition. The 134 IBU aren’t apparent now, unlike the painful bitterness that existed when I sampled between primary and secondary fermentation, but it’s still a bitter beer.